Home

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The meat dilemma.

A few weeks ago I was preparing dinner and cutting chicken . It made me sick. This started the meat dilemma. I am not against eating meat, but I am now becoming very hesitant to purchase or eat meat that has been factory farmed. The cruelty these animals endure is beyond what most of us would want to know about. Not to mention the hormones that are given and the pesticides that make their way into our bodies.

When I began thinking about cutting back on my meat intake the Lord dropped a scripture in my heart that I rarely read or think of. "A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel." Proverbs 12:10. It's pretty amazing how the Lord cares even about these issues I am having questions about. I love that about Him. I know God gave us dominion over the animals of the earth, but I don't believe he ever intended on us consuming the large quantities we do or acquiring them the way we do. Having a child has really made me think about what kinds of foods we eat. I'm still trying to figure this all out and how I can make it work in our family. Buying free range meat and eggs does not come cheap. Despite what the package says at the grocery store, most things labeled "organic" or "free range" are still factory farmed. Currently there are no good FDA regulations for this stuff. For now, I am just doing what feels right for me. Overall, the most important thing is what the Bible says about the issue.
Romans 14:3 ESV
"Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him."

No comments:

Post a Comment